Diversified, alternative asset manager, and one of the largest investor in hedge funds. Firm manages a diversified set of businesses including a customized solutions business, a special situations platform, a long-only solutions business, a seeding business, an open-ended mutual fund platform and a business that purchases stakes in established hedge funds. In all of their business lines, it carefully selects and partners with fund managers across a variety of asset classes and strategies to create solutions for its investors. Through its sharp focus on clients’ goals, a rigorous due-diligence process and access to firm’s global insights, they strive to generate attractive risk-adjusted returns across market cycles while preserving capital during stressed market environments.
Job Description & Responsibilities:
The risk management due diligence team covers hedge funds across all asset classes and trading strategies. The risk analysis is focused, from a trading perspective, on how hedge funds generate returns, the risks involved, and how such risks are managed. In particular, risk analysis covers the structuring and sizing of trades, allocation of capital to portfolio managers and/or strategies, portfolio construction, market risks and structural risks in the portfolio, as well as overlay hedging and risk management on the portfolio level. The position also involves monitoring existing portfolios for changes in risk profile, and designing and conducting quantitative analyses focused on the firm’s portfolios, hedge fund investments, and capital markets. The position is based in New York City, but requires some domestic and international travel to on-site meetings.
Firm seeks to hire individuals who are highly motivated independent thinkers, have a strong work ethic, and have demonstrated excellence in prior endeavors, as well as:
- Technical skills – Working understanding of financial instruments and markets across five major asset classes (equities, fixed income, credits, currencies, and commodities). Working understanding of typical investment strategies
- Quantitative skills – Very good quantitative and computer (PC/Excel) skills. Ability to perform quantitative analysis of historical returns of managers, specific investments, and portfolios
- Process – Ability to write drafts of risk reviews based on meetings with managers and guidance from a VP/MD. Ability to provide economic explanation of blotter/scenario model exceptions
- Independent thinking – Ability to objectively assess risk/return characteristics of investments, investment strategies, and managers
- Communication skills – Ability to engage managers in a discussion to extract useful information during risk review meetings. Ability to express ideas and develop convincing arguments during internal meetings
- 1-5 years of financial services experience within
- Direct Investing
- Investment Due Diligence
- Hedge Fund Risk Management
- FoF Risk Due Diligence
- Bachelor (or higher) degree
- US citizenship or work authorization in the U.S.